Thursday, July 3, 2008

More cool things from the home front

Some more things about home life that are putting a smile on my face:

- When I came home, Iliana was able to tell me about something fun that had happened clearly enough that I could understand it. Apparently, she and her sister ate cheese outside, at the little table (a toy picnic table set that was a gift from their grandparents)! She was very happy about the novelty.

- DH just helped me realize that I could combine a work task with a home task, and save a little time.

- A friend sent out an email about a subject she cares about strongly, which I also care about - but disagree with her about. DH sent out a simple, well-worded, fact-based reply that was far better and more graceful than anything I could have written, focused on sharing more information and fostering discussion rather than on "arguing a point".

Wow. I'm so glad I couldn't find the words now. What I wanted to say sounds arrogant and shallow next to his simple, to-the-point response. Best of all, he left plenty of room for reply - he didn't assume that what he said was the end of the discussion, but rather ended with a question. I think the question will be difficult to answer, but maybe there are facts DH and I don't have. The important thing is that now there is a discussion, and everyone is going to have a chance to learn a little bit more about the issue (drilling at ANWR).

So not only did DH do something I wanted to do even better than I could do it, he also modelled a virtue I crave (humility) and a skill I desire (fostering healthy discussion of important issues).

*Swoon*

No comments: