Sunday, July 13, 2008

Got a lot done this weekend!

This was a great weekend - lots happened, lots got done.

We started out taking a walk as a family to the local produce store. They give major discounts for cash but we only had $15 in bills, so it was kind of fun to pick out the best values and get the most possible for our money. We walked out with four nectarines, four yellow apples, 2 lbs. grapes, two bananas, 10 lbs. potatoes, a coconut, 4 baby avocados (cute, but turned out mediocre), and 2 mangoes. I was pretty happy with that haul :-)

We went home, ate fruit, and the girls napped while DH and I did a few chores and then played an online MMO for a bit. When the girls woke up we just hung out for a couple of hours, but tempers started fraying as we headed into the evening. Finally we just packed up, gassed the car at the cheapest local station, grabbed food from the AM PM, and went to the beach for an inpromptu picnic. Everyone had fun and came home tired.

This morning, we dropped the girls off at the grandparents, then went out for pho (cheap Vietnamese soup - wonderfully delicious). We talked a bit about how to organize things a bit better now that DH is in charge. He said he'd be interested in me making a regular meeting agenda, so I'll get around to that when I get a little time. We're doing our meetings twice a month, the 1st and 16th.

Then we went to Mass, and got the wonderful treat of praise and praying without being distracted by our children or by accusatory glances from older members of the congregation. After Mass, I planted the five tomato plants and pepper plant that the grandparents had given us - after first uprooting a huge patch of daisies and clearing out a little more of the evil "corner of weeds" growing up behind the shed. When the girls came home, we watched a couple episodes of "The Adams Family" together (nursing . . . sigh) while DH cooked spaghetti squash and hotdogs, with cheese on the side - and then headed back out so I could get in another hour of weeding. The corner of weeds is now almost done, and it was impressive - containing no less than 5 weeds over 6 feet tall, most of which had fallen over under their own weight, as well as a multitude of other random plants. I found a few surviving flowering plants hidden under the vines, milkweeds, and grass, too!

And now DH is cooking a little extra food for us, enough that I will be able to take some of it in to work for lunch tomorrow! I am quite happy indeed.

1 comment:

Annaberri said...

If that patch of dirt over there grows those kinds of weeds, something tells me it grows good plants, too. I wonder if maybe a chicken pen used to be over there? I mean, those are some significant weeds. I didn't know they grew like that!