Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sometimes I need to remember that I do love my husband.

My DH (Dear Husband and Darn Husband, at the same time) isn't really the provider type. And I'm okay with that. I knew it long before we married, and if I ever wanted to complain about it, the time was then. I conciously chose to accept that part of him, just as I chose to accept our difference in faith, his beard, and his rediculous interest in the Lovecraft mythos.

So I was thrilled when events steered him into his current role, as a SAHD. I had dreams of no longer being in charge of the home, of being able to focus on earning an income and being a mother while he fathered full-time and managed the household.

If you know me, you might have picked up that things haven't yet worked out that way. You might be aware that I am frustrated with how things are going. A few people are aware that I am very frustrated, including my DH.

And quite frankly, I've been a little scared to talk about it. There's avoiding the stress of going through the whole, "Why I'm Not a SAHM" explanation. Or worse, if I shared everything going through my head with someone who didn't absolutely believe that marraige is forever, they might suggest that I get a divorce.

I could definitely imagine someone recommending divorce. After all, my husband seems to be unable to provide our family with any more value than, say, a nanny. He can either work full-time to pay for a nanny to watch our children, or he can stay home and give about the same about of monetary value that way. I can just hear someone trying to make a financial argument about how I ought to trade up. I can hear it because there's a part of me playing Devil's Advocate lately, testing that devotion, trying to get a rise out of myself.

But I have an answer for that Devil's Advocate. And it's the answer to a number of questions I've had for years, which can be summarized by an ex-boyfriend who would have been a great provider and a strong husband: "Why him? Why him and not me?"

I didn't marry a financial asset or a good provider. I married a companion on the journey of life. I married family, and not just any family - I married a husband.

When you are taking a trip with a companion, you don't just walk away from him in the middle of nowhere when things become inconvenient financially, or troublesome in terms of the amount of work you are doing. Especially not when that companion provides richness and wonder to your life just by being there. Instead, you work as hard as you can to care for your partner until you reach the end of your journey, and take joy and comfort from his prescence and his happiness, and hope that he will care for you if someday you cannot go on without that help.


I am tired, I am frustrated. Sometimes I feel taken for granted. Sometimes I think I would have less work to do if my husband weren't here. But the work my husband does is only part of the value he brings to my life. His prescence is more than justified merely by the joy and pleasure I get when he is happy. If all he did for our family was to make himself happy and provide himself with real, lasting joy, our family would be rich indeed.

I've never met anyone else who could make me feel this way. "Feel" doesn't cover it, though. I've never met anyone else who could make me live this way. If he smiles at me and tells me I am doing well, then I find I do not need as much rest or leisure time. If he values a meal I create or appreciates the way I fold laundry, then suddenly those things can become more pleasurable than the most engrossing novel, or the best-crafted video game (I am a geek, of course I enjoy video games).

I do love my husband. He is a wonderful man. And I need to quit focusing on the financial value he provides the family and focus more on the richness my life has because of him. Really, all I need from him is for him to be a nanny, and for him to be happy and to be happy with me. I can happily do the rest, as long as he is happy with both of us.

I think it is our mutual frustration that have made things rough lately, more than any other factor. If we can get rid of that and do the things we need to be happy, like sharing our affection for each other, we would probably be fine. And we have been doing that, and it has helped. That, and I really want to know what my husband needs to be happy. But I think right now, he doesn't know either.

I don't know how to help him with that problem. For me, happiness is usually a clear goal that I am always getting closer to. Sometimes I think he doesn't even really know what happiness looks like, unless he currently has it. How do I teach someone to be happy?

I can think of only one way, but with everything else I'm trying to do - I'm not sure I have the energy to teach by example. I need someone to give me that energy . . . but whom?

Yet again, the ultimate solution to my problems, once they are distilled to their core, seems to be prayer.

P.S. When I talk about how I love my husband, I can't help but draw parallels between that and the way I should love God. "I've never met anyone else who could make me live this way. If he smiles at me and tells me I am doing well, then I find I do not need as much rest or leisure time." I wish I felt that way about God, too. It says an uncomfortably great lot about me that I don't.

But as Father Steve said, faith doesn't always start with love of God. Sometimes it doesn't even start with the desire to love God. Sometimes all we have is the desire to desire to love God. But because of God's love for us, that is enough.

Father Steve was right about an awful lot. So I'll trust him on this, too.

5 comments:

Annaberri said...

Sounds like it's time for a coffee date, lady!
I have lots to say, but the baby won't leave me alone right now to type.
I'll try to compose a more accurate reply later, in case we never get that coffee date.
Meanwhile, go to Marriage Encounter online, and pick one. It's a weekend with no kids and no tech, just each other. We loved it four years ago. It helps hugely with communication, which is every married person's struggle.
Marriage is hard work!

Annaberri said...

PS
We'll watch the girls if grandparents aren't available. Just don't pick the middle two weeks of June.

Anonymous said...

I must say that sometimes (a lot of the time) I am the lead weight in the relationship. As the SAHM I often have very little to show for a day's worth of work and often need a break from my "nothing" when my dear husband returns from slaving away. It is hard to have a positive outlook when you are drowning instead of treading water. So my "job" is to gracefully raise our children, in a way, to lower my self-critical standards so that happy kids is all that matters. Otherwise I go crazy and take the whole family with me.

We have had to work hard at finding out what really matters to each family member each day. Today a lawn mower really mattered to Eric and I laughed at first, but then I stopped and listened, and now we have a lawn mower. I have been really discerning about whether we can handle a new baby while Eric is in school, but, despite his reservations, Eric said that we could accept a new person if I really thought I could handle it. Both of those discussions have been going on for at least a month, and I am fairly sure will continue on in the future.

So I guess the best advice is to communicate communicate communicate! Although that sounds trite after awhile, meeting your partner's needs because your partner tells you what they are is so wonderful! The Marriage Encounter is nice because you are forced to do that work. I must say that we love to have some couple time and we get it at least once a month when grandparents come and steal the chillins. Hence today we bought a lawnmower on our "date".

Prayer is so great because it helps you suck up your pride and your "needs" and serve your family and partner. I must say that everyday I pray for myself to be a better wife and mother, and for the husband and kids to fulfill their vocations. It is not fancy prayer, it is mostly desperation prayer, but it "fixes" my mind set away from me and on to Christ. That helps a lot.

Also, don't be too hard on each other, you are still practically newlyweds and you've had a serious couple of years with all the job up and downs and the new house and twins... sometimes you just have to order pizza and put in a movie so that you can talk to your spouse uninterrupted. And the kids' malnutrition and lost IQ points are totally worth it.

BTW, I remember Fr. Steve saying that too, it has really stuck with me all these years later! Sometimes I pray that I want to want to be a good mom!

Lots of Love, another E.

ED said...

LOL, we do pizza / movie days enough. The real concern I have is when every single meal the kids eat is a TV dinner unless I prep it - which is where we were when DH first started staying home.

I had a much longer comment, but couldn't manage to say things right / clearly and need to get back to work. Thank you for your comments - having friends is such a blessing.

Anonymous said...

hmmm.... I think my husband is in a similar boat to you. It is hard to see a rainbow when no one has shown you where to look. It sounds like your husband grew up in a harsh environment, I could be wrong. I grew up with harsh conditions. I can only pray for my husband to have continued patience. I want to encourage you to continue being gentle to your spouse. There's stuff being ironed out in all us adults. Cherie