Wednesday, May 21, 2008

So many things happening in my larger family

My mind is abuzz with changing family dynamics.

The biggest thing buzzing in my head is the news that my closest older sister is going blind. There are more tests to be done, but in about 20 to 30 years or sooner, she is likely to be blind. She is already planning, looking at the blessings God has given her that will help her through this.

My younger half-sister recently got in touch, and we will be meeting soon - as soon as my older sister is done moving to her new home that she just bought.

My next older sister recently got in touch with my birth mother's twin sister, and it turns out that she is "a very kind christian woman." Wow, how neat! My maternal grandmother is still alive, and I have her name. My maternal grandfather died 8 years ago. I would have been 17 then.

I'm very ambivalent about these changes. It's sad that my sister may be going blind, but I'm glad it's not sudden and that she will be able to prepare. I'm glad to be discovering new family, but I'm still feeling overwhelmed from everything changing in the last few years in my own family and really just wanted to settle down and asorb things here. Just for a few months.

I guess I'll just take it slow, one day at a time, and focus on the joy of these changes - and let my sister know that I'm here for her and her family, no matter what. Probably everyone will be too busy for me to get to know my new aunt right now anyways, just like has been happening with my half sister.

My *younger* sister. LOL, only another youngest-of-many child can understand the joy of no longer being the youngest. Yeah, I have a half-brother as well, plus a half-sister I've never met, but they are so far apart in age that it really isn't the same at all.

No comments: