Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thinking happy thoughts

I've realized that I've fallen into a bad habit lately: I complain a lot. Which doesn't make sense, considering how much God has blessed our family - especially during the last year. But in spite of all the good things, I've been annoyed by the small, bad things - mostly frustration with my husband, in spite of how much good he has been doing.

So, I'm going to start using this blog more as a diary and log some of the good things that happen. Starting today.

Let's see, starting on Tuesday: Bjorn replaced my dying scooter batteries for me, without me even asking! All I had to do was read the instructions from the laptop - he TOTALLY took over the work for me, and even took over managing the work and just bossed me around. At the end of a long day of work, I was so ready for someone else to do the thinking.

Then Bjorn told me we had a box of produce sitting on the porch. Our delivery from the Klesicks' CSA! We got avocados! I love getting surprise-produce every week. It's like getting new gifts every Tuesday. I don't think I'll ever check the website again to see what we are getting. I really enjoy that little weekly surprise.

Wednesday, we had a team lunch. Free food is good, and the company was great. There was some bad stuff, but it'll make a good story for the DH tonight. And last night was also Rosary group, always a breath of fresh air in a busy life.

Today I got in to work, and someone brought in doughnuts! Yum, sugar rush.

And in general, my cross-stitch project that I've been working on while commuting on the bus is coming along nicely. I think it looks better than the sample picture.

Man, my life *is* good. Why do I waste time thinking about all that yucky stuff? When I could be looking forward to some of the good stuff I'm expecting in the next couple of days, or making even *more* good stuff happen?

So, new goal: Focus on making good stuff happen, rather than getting rid of all of the bad stuff. That seems to be what's worked best in the past, I just didn't even realize when I started doing things differently. Too much work as a software tester, which is all about recognizing the bad things and getting them out of an otherwise good project.

That "software tester" approach doesn't work for life - I need to be both the developer and the tester in my life. I need to develop my life and add desireable features to it, as well as recognize the bugs and expugne them. Too much focus on either side is bad. Moderation in all things.

No comments: