Thursday, January 4, 2007

Doctor's visit

We visited the doctor yesterday morning. Everything looks fine, and she isn't very concerned that Lenora isn't babbling. She said to come back in a month and a half if she hasn't started by then. I'm not too worried, either. Lenora is actually doing better with language and communication than Iliana, except that she doesn't babble. She uses gestures more effectively, though, and even had a day where she was using a word of sign language ("milk"), although she hasn't used it since. Lenora is also better at responding to spoken language than Iliana, probably because we need to speak to her more frequently - she can be so mischeivious! I'd be more concerned if she weren't able to communicate, but it looks like she is just slow to make certain noises with her mouth.

Yesterday we also had a breastfeeding "Oh, cute!" moment. It was after the girl's bath. Bjorn was lowering Iliana's crib since she became a pro at pulling to a stand in it overnight just the night before. I wanted a few minutes to relax with a book, but knew that the girls would want to nurse. I solved this by declaring an open buffet - that is, I lay down with my shirt off and let the girls crawl over to nurse at whim. At one point, Lenora was draped across my chest, lying on one breast and nursing on the far side, keeping Iliana from having nursing access. Iliana started to fuss, so I shifted Lenora all the way to the far side. By that point, Iliana had already started to go around, so I called her back. "Iliana, look!"

She turns around, and seeing that her sister has been moved and she can now nurse, she begins to crawl as fast as she can with this *amazing* expression. It was sort of a, "Wow, it must be Christmas, I'm so lucky, thanks, Ma!" look, with her mouth wide open and her eyes gleaming. I really wish we'd had a camera!

No comments: