Monday, March 30, 2009

Financial goodness - about time!

So, unemployment has finally decided I was available for work while I was unemployed. Almost 3 months after I lost my job, and two weeks after I started my new job. The money should be in our bank account by Wednesday.

I also got my first paycheck. This is the really big news: I assumed 20% of our income would be paid to taxes, to be sure that I wouldn't underestimate when budgeting. I was waaayyyy over . . . by over $600 / month. We've gone from being $100 / month short of covering our current expenses to having over $500 a month to pay into debt. Wow. Good thing I took every exemption that we qualify for! We still have a long haul to pay off our debts, but now we can actually start estimating a realistic end date.

The only bad news is that two nights ago, I again went through the exercise of summing up our debt. We are going to need a roof replacement, which we've already arranged for. I think we got a fair deal arranged for that, and we have 0% / 0 payments for one year financing so we won't get hit with a bad APR (I really think we can pay it off in that time), but still - it's another huge addition to the pile of debt. We have a small mountain ahead of us, and we were debt-free just last July. Even with these bits of good news, it's clear that we probably won't get out of debt as fast as we went into it. Unless, of course, DH gets a job.

Oh, one more good piece of news! DH's studies for his Network+ certification seem to be moving along nicely. I'm really impressed. He's going to start self-testing to see if he's ready this week, and then will either schedule his exam or settle down for another four weeks of winter . . . I mean, studying.

No comments: