Friday, January 11, 2008

What is this blog?

When I started this blog, I was planning on it being a way for me to explore my love of parenting and motherhood and share family news with others. Since then, I have changed a lot and I'm finding that more than just being a mom, I am specifically a Catholic reverse-traditional mother.

I am a mother who puts family first by being in the workplace full-time so my husband can be with the kids. I am a feminist who believes women are the equals of men and should be treated equally in the workplace. I am a devout Catholic wife who wants a large family and prays the Rosary (well, at least during Lent).

More challenging is that there aren't really many role models for reverse-traditional families. There are a few blogs, and there are some online groups for Dads. Support for the mothers is even more limited, probably because it's assumed that the transition from home to work is easier since moms have been doing this for decades. I've found, however, that the challenges of a reverse-traditional family are unique even for the woman. Since we've done traditional, two-income, and reverse-traditional family styles during the last two years, I think I should know.

So the nature of this blog is changing, and it will show up in the content. Eventually it will probably manifest in the title as well. Right now it's still just a personal blog, but I'm wanting to explore even more the challenges in our unique family style. Hopefully I can also share some of my family's love of technology, our car-free lifestyle, the Catholic faith, and (of course) an update on the wonder and challenges of our life with our beautiful twins.

No comments: